WHAT IS SRP?
The School Readiness Project (SRP) provides services for families of children, zero to eight, throughout O`ahu and Hawai`i Island. We provide developmental, social-emotional, hearing, vision and autism screenings, case management and parent education. We help strengthen families’ medical homes and support pediatricians to better meet the needs of your children.
At the School Readiness Project, our goal is to increase the number of keiki entering kindergarten ready to learn.
SRP is a collaborative project with Aloha United Way, The Community Learning Center at Ma`ili, Harry & Jeanette Weinberg Kukui Center, and Kamehameha Schools.
Contact LDAH if you would like to schedule a screening event in your community. Gather parents of children, zero to eight, and we will drive to you.
School Readiness Project Office
87-790 Kulauku St., #A116
Waianae, HI 96792
WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE SCHOOL READY?
- Primary Care Physician (PCP)
- Regular check-ups with PCP and Dentist
- Current shots (Immunizations)
- Healthy lifestyle habits (Physical, Emotional, Cognitive, Spiritual)
- Medical Home- A team that supports all the aspects of your child’s health and well-being!
- Support your child’s interests
- Fill your home with books and other language materials
- Make time for your child to play and learn with you
- Have conversations with your child
- Give your child responsibilities and decision-making opportunities
- Complete the ASQ/ASQ-SE
- Share what it means to be part of a family
Development is the process of learning and mastering skills during specific time periods. These guidelines or markers are called milestones. Development is assessed these areas:
- Gross Motor- Large muscle movement, walking, jumping, balancing, etc.
- Fine Motor- Small muscle movement, writing, grasping small objects, fastening clothing.
- Communication– Verbal, non-verbal, expressive and receptive skills.
- Problem-Solving- Cause and effect, learn by imitation, trial and error
- Personal-Social- Self-awareness, self-regulation and emotional development. These skills include the ability to pay attention, make transitions from one activity to another and cooperate with others.
- Social-Emotional- Self-confidence, managing feelings, handling disappointment, empathy toward others, positive relationships, independence.L